The LIFE programme is the EU’s funding instrument for the environment and climate action. The new LIFE programme for the period 2021-2027 will be covering the following fields and sub-programmes:
1. Under the Environment field:
- Sub-programme: Nature and Biodiversity.
- Sub-programme: Circular Economy and Quality of Life.
2. Under the Climate Action field:
- Sub-programme: Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation.
- Sub-programme: Clean Energy Transition.
Private non-commercial organisations (NGOs, VOs), private commercial organisations and public bodies can undertake environment related projects co-funded by the European Commission in line with the priorities below. Calls under the LIFE Programme are launched every year by the European Commission in order to submit proposals which answer the requirements of the LIFE calls that in the coming period will be published in the EU Funding & tenders opportunities Portal. The selection of successful proposals is done by the European Commission following the closure of the calls for proposals.
LIFE Proposal Writing Assistance Scheme
The objective of the LIFE Proposal Writing Assistance Scheme (hereafter ‘the Scheme’) is to help NGOs or VOs in the planning of the proposal development and writing process. Therefore, prospective applicants will have the opportunity of engaging a service provider who can support them through the full proposal writing during the LIFE proposal application process in line with the LIFE calls for Proposals.
The Scheme offers a maximum grant of €5,000 (excluding VAT) for NGOs or VOs to engage professional assistance to write a project for the upcoming 2021 LIFE proposal calls.
Applicants to the Scheme will outline their proposed project idea within the LIFE Assistance Scheme e-application and priority will be given to project idea which cover the priority areas below:
- Measure and management of Natura 2000 sites
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Green infrastructure
- Energy Efficiency
- Waste management and/or Marine litter
Applicants must submit proposals through the e-application and be a single legal entity that fulfils the below requirements:
- Applicants must be established non-Government, non-profit voluntary organizations, with a clear primary focus on environmental conservation in the Maltese territory.
- At the date of e-application, applicants must be duly enrolled with the Commissioner for Voluntary Organizations and must also be compliant with the Voluntary Organizations Act, (Cap 492 of the Laws of Malta) and its subsidiary legislation.
- Applicants requesting assistance for writing proposals must be the Coordinating beneficiaries in subsequent submitting proposals.
- Applicants must submit, within the e-application form, a project proposal summary and demonstrate how it addresses maximum two LIFE priority project topics as well as at least one priority area identified by MECP for projects proposals.
- Eligible costs of the Scheme will be limited to fund an external service provider to assist the applicant with their proposal for future submission to a LIFE funding call.
- The application for the Scheme will not ensure the applicant to be granted for the assistance. Selected applicants will receive a Letter of Intent issued by MECP, to begin the consultancy with the ‘service provider’.
- Submissions received after the respective date and time will be rejected.
Only applications that successfully reach the website www.vofunding.org.mt by the close of deadline will be considered.
Eligible applicants may wish to contact and consult directly with the LIFE Unit within MECP. Any enquiries can be communicated via the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling telephone number 23316239/43, 22926314.
Full LIFE Proposal Writing Assistance application criteria can be found on the LIFE Assistance Scheme guidelines (below).